Monday, November 10, 2014

In the Cold Light of Day



Please can I just say a big thank you to you Eileen for allowing me to guest on your fabulous Blog, Magic of the Muse.  We first met when your book, The Traz was published and from then on we have become special social media friends.



My latest book, In the Cold Light of Day was published on 26th October and I have once again returned to the sixties as the time frame to set my story. I just love to write about the times when mobile phones, lap tops, the World Wide Web and computers in general were nothing more than a futuristic dream. Set in the London area, In the Cold Light of Day is a moving story about gambling addiction taking the reader into a world of lies, deception and eventually fraud. This book, like all of my books, it is an emotional read, one that gets to the very core of the characters feelings. A little warning; readers may need a tissue close by. I admit to having felt emotional when I was writing this book!

You asked what inspired me to write about gambling. “The initial idea came to me after I had heard how a business man had lost everything he owned through gambling. A few weeks later I met a woman who had a family member who was addicted to internet gambling, again another story of unnecessary loss. From then on my story slowly began to unfold. It took several months to write and edit before I was happy enough to send it to my editor. Even then I was nervous about her reaction. Thankfully in the end I had nothing to fear as her final words to me after delivering my manuscript back were, “Good luck! You deserve it. I’ve loved this story.”

Here is the blurb….

Bertie Costain has worked hard all his life in the building trade and now owns his own London-based company. In 1967, approaching fifty and still unmarried he enjoys a playboy lifestyle, but when he meets Kitty, an attractive, wealthy widow ten years his senior, he swiftly proposes.

Swept off her feet, Kitty adores him. The happy couple seem to have it all, but Bertie has a secret. Kitty has no idea their home is mortgaged to the hilt, or that the many expensive gifts he brings her come out of his winnings at roulette.  Proud of his apparent success and ignorant of his gambling addiction, she happily loans him large sums of money, ostensibly for his business.

Convinced with each spin of the wheel that his run of bad luck will change, Bertie gambles for increasingly high stakes, falling deeper and deeper into debt until, facing financial ruin and with nowhere to turn, he resorts to fraud. As their lives begin to unravel, Kitty learns the horrifying truth.

In the cold light of day can their love survive the pain and destruction Bertie’s addiction has wrought?


Pauline’s Bio:


I am a Yorkshire girl from the UK, but have lived in several different locations over the years; Suffolk, UK, Surrey, UK and the Netherlands.  Today, I live on one of the beautiful islands of the Canary Isles with my husband and our two gorgeous rescue doggies.

Years ago I gained a BA (Hons) degree from the Open University, today I spend my time writing fiction. I have five books published, plus a 20 minute short festive story.
My passion is to write about events that happen in life and change everything for those involved as well as those caught up in the maelstrom. I want my characters to sit at your side, steal your attention and sweep you up in their story. Stories that will bring tears to your eyes, have you laughing out loud and sometimes, what they share with you, will stay in your hearts for a very long time.


Pauline’s Author Showcase Trailer




In the Cold Light of Day is available in Kindle from ALL Amazon stores (paperback to follow in the New Year)

Pauline’s Links…
Twitter: @paulinembarclay

* * *

In the Cold Light of Day with author Pauline Barclay has been brought to you by:

http://bookshow.me/B00KOG45J2
"kidnaps the reader and compels them to read more.” 

"A story of intrigue, love, and lust"

"drama, intrigue, and some really interesting questions." 

"it will surprise, titillate and fascinate you"

No comments: